I am Mog Anarchy, and I like to play games. Whether they are old, new, retro, modern, online, offline, console, computer, critically acclaimed or notoriously bad. Here on my blog, I rant about, review, trash talk, praise and generally talk about all of my favourite and least-favourite games. I also write my own guides on how to accomplish tricky tasks, show off my creative endeavors and challenge myself with crazy in-game tasks. I also have a bunch of gaming merchandise which I am glad to show off. So drop me a comment, I love hearing your questions, criticisms, comments and general gaming discussions. :)

05/01/2017

Review: Gardenscapes: New Acres

Gardenscapes is a free-to-play match-3 style app available for Android and IOS devices - but unlike the usual slew of Bejeweled clones or multiple Candy Crush Saga spin-offs - Gardenscapes also features an RPG-style story mode which involves restoring a run-down botanical gardens back to its former glory.


As you complete the match-3 levels, you will be rewarded with stars - these stars can then be used to complete various tasks within the garden, such as planting trees and flowers, repairing fences and fountains and building new features such as a tree house and spring. Part-way through the game, you will also adopt a dog, which you can name (I named mine Rufus) who will create chaos within the garden and provide you with other things to build, such as a kennel.


For such a simple concept, Gardenscapes is actually filled to the brim with content - throughout the game you interact mainly with Austin, your butler - but as you progress, you will meet and unlock more characters who can be recruited to complete tasks within your garden. There is also a Facebook-style newsfeed app where you can read conversations between them - the posts between Austin and his parents are particularly amusing.


Unlike many match-3 games, each coloured piece is unique - made up of fruits, acorns, droplets of water and flowers - and Shelly (who is red-green colour-blind, remember) assures me she has no problems distinguishing between colours like she has done in similar games.

Of course, the game is not without issues. As with many free-to-play apps, you CAN use real money to purchase in-game coins, which can be traded for lives, boosters or be used to speed up tasks taking place within the garden. You are rewarded with these coins simply by playing the game, but it's a paltry amount. For each level you complete, you'll receive 50-75 coins - but it costs 900 to refill your lives and even more to buy boosters. 

Once you pass level 60, the levels begin to become unforgiving - whether you can pass the level or not will be determined in your first few moves, and quite often, it's based on luck - hopefully you can start a level with the means to create bombs and rainbow blasters in your first few moves.

The game can also be linked with Facebook - to IN THEORY send and receive lives between your real-life friends - well I'm calling this feature out right now - it DOESN'T WORK. Shelly and I were constantly asking for and sending each other lives - the requests for help sent, but the actual lives we sent each other were lost in cyberspace. I think out of the dozens she sent me, I only received about two of them. 

Also, unlike Candy Crush Saga, Bejeweled Stars and similar games, you can't see your friends' progress - and overly competitive people like Shelly enjoy this feature. You also can't replay levels - so if there was a level you particularly enjoyed - too bad, you only get to play it once. I'm not sure why this feature isn't included - even if they allowed replaying of levels but didn't reward you with the paltry amount of coins they do initially.

I enjoyed Gardenscapes initially, for the first few days I played it - before the levels began to become unforgiving and downright frustrating. I can't help but think it's fallen into the typical trap of trying to squeeze real money out of players just so they can continue progressing through the game - and I'm only onto the 3rd area of the garden - there's a greyed-out area you can scroll across that's 3 times bigger than the area I've already unlocked - so clearly this game is pretty beasty. The Facebook-esque newsfeed also has several greyed-out profiles of characters I can potentially unlock in the future - if I can ever get past fucking level 77.

35 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  14. Get 100 000 Gardenscapes - New Acres coins and stars refill with my invitation here: http://gardenscapeshelper.com/?i=Brittney

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you hear already that the best Gardenscapes - New Acres players use this website to get free coins, lives and stars? http://gardenscapeshelper.com/?i=chetna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Get 100 000 Gardenscapes - New Acres coins and stars refill with my invitation here: http://gardenscapeshelper.com/?i=Player

    ReplyDelete
  17. 100 000 Gardenscape coins and 100 stars are available here completely for free: http://gardenscapeshelper.com/?i=Ruan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got 100 000 Gardenscapes game coins today and I recommend it for everybody! http://gardenscapeshelper.com/?i=Madhu

    ReplyDelete
  19. The best Gardenscapes - New Acres players know this website and use it to get free coins, lives and stars: http://gardenscapeshelper.com/?i=Madhu

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm past level 700, and I have never spent a dime. Yes, sometimes you have to play the same level for a few days, but eventually it let's you win. I've noticed if I exit out before all my lives are used up, it will often give me a win, the next time I load up. It annoys me that I can't deploy my boosters where I want. I select a booster before the play begins, it throws it somewhere that isn't helpful, and you can't select after play has begun on a level. There are a couple tools you can earn various ways, that you can deploy at will, but they are hard to come by. I keep playing it, because I enjoy the challenge, but it can be frustrating when you work so hard to earn stars, and be forced to spend them on something other than your garden, like giving directions to strangers, or fixing a kids bike, or when it gives you 3 hours free play, right when you need to close and get on with your life. Does anyone actually play this for 3 hours? It would kill my battery after 1-1/2 hr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same basic experience. I do get to play for an hour or so from time to time but in general, I decide whether to take the three hours, or cut my session shourt and start again when I have more time.

      Delete
  21. 100 000 Gardenscape coins and 100 stars are available here completely for free: http://gardenscapeshelper.com/?i=Lirie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am at level 1498. Spent 5 bucks in the first week just to check it out and haven't spent a penny since. The game is rigged to make you spend money. No Doubt. Sometimes you are denied a win with many turns left, over and over, simply because things stop appearing that you need. No matter where you stop the daily prize wheel it will give you what it wants you to have. I could go on.
    But the puzzles are challenging and there is a trick to each one. Once you get the strategy you win, even when the game denies you in it's thirst for you money. You simply employ the strategy until the game relents.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks Gaming

    ReplyDelete
  24. I recomend https://appsjardin.com because it has de best information about Gardenscapes. And you can find hacks Gardenscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. V-Bucks

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very well written about Review Gardenscapes. If you want videos of Gardenscapes, please download vidmate. Whenever you will watch a video in Vidmate application, there will be many videos in it so that you will not have any problem in finding the video of your choice in this application, so you will get a search bar icon in it, in which you can easily find any of your choice. Huh. You will be able to search videos. Vidmate is a video downloading application using which you can download any video of your choice. This application is different from other applications as it allows you to open any website and download videos from that website without any problem. You can also download Gardenscapes and Vidmate from 9apps

    ReplyDelete
  27. Has anyone else lost the booster wheel haven't had it come up for a week now so I'm not getting any boosters to help me

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am appalled at the psychological damage that this game can inflict on young children. The games that deprive little kids of food and water, and harm them physically, even though it’s virtual, it is real to little minds. Children don’t know the difference between reality and fantasy. Children should not be playing this game. As an older adult, I find this game totally appalling. Shame on you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. great info, check out our guide on top 10 strongest generation 2 pokemon for a tier list on the best gen 2 pokemon

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like to play like this when I fix the house and landscape garden, I enjoy it because it's worth it when you've got a star you can work the level of the game you play you won't get bored, and games must have good strategy.

    ReplyDelete