I am Mog Anarchy, and I like to play games. Whether they are old, new, retro, modern, online, offline, console, computer, critically acclaimed or notoriously bad. Here on my blog, I rant about, review, trash talk, praise and generally talk about all of my favourite and least-favourite games. I also write my own guides on how to accomplish tricky tasks, show off my creative endeavors and challenge myself with crazy in-game tasks. I also have a bunch of gaming merchandise which I am glad to show off. So drop me a comment, I love hearing your questions, criticisms, comments and general gaming discussions. :)

16/07/2013

Europe VS USA: Spyro 2

Welcome to another of my "Frequent Features" - bear with me, in which I shall be pitting the European versions of games against their US versions, sometimes bringing in the Japanese versions to piss all over them both. :D

Sometimes I'll be comparing censorship, differences, extra content or in this case - the TITLES.
(And don't think I'm biased because I am European, I have subjective opinions too. :D)

Insomniac Games released the sequel to the awesome platformer Spyro The Dragon in 1999 in Europe and the US and in 2000 in Japan - all 3 versions oddly enough having TOTALLY DIFFERENT names. In Europe we got "Spyro 2: Gateway To Glimmer" and the USA got "Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage". (And in Japan they got "Spyro X Sparx Tondemo Tours", but I have no idea where to go with THAT one, so I'm not touching it with a PS1 multitap.)


 
As far as I'm aware, there are no major gameplay, censorship or dialogue differences between the two versions - so we're going to compare the two box arts and their titles.
 
Firstly, the European version: "Gateway To Glimmer". For anyone who has actually played Spyro 2, 'Glimmer' is the very first world of the Summer Forest hubworld, a world made from gem-covered fields and mines inhabited by mice wearing hard-hats subtly named "The Gemcutters". As the game starts, The Professor of Avalar is trying to summon a dragon in order to stop the evil Ripto (who HATES dragons!) and thus Spyro is thrown into the world of Glimmer and left to figure things out on his own.
 
OK, so the game takes its title from the very 1st level. I can't think of many games that actually DO that. Also, Spyro doesn't ever actually voluntarily enter the "gateway" to Glimmer - he's simply warped there. (OK, you can re-enter it after finishing the level, but that's not the point.) So I feel this title is a tad redundant.
 
Onto the US version then: "Ripto's Rage" - as I just mentioned, Ripto is the main antagonist (and not to spoil the plot or anything, probably the most badass of all Spyro bosses - you fight him THREE TIMES IN SUCCESSION!) And indeed, upon Spyro's arrival in Avalar, Ripto is certainly filled with rage - more so every time you crush his pet monsters Crush and Gulp in earlier boss battles.
 
Using the name of the main antagonist in titles is something I like - it draws a difference from the original Spyro and its antagonist Gnasty Gnorc who had taken over the Dragon Kingdom. It also draws instantly on how this game departs from the old Dragon Kingdom into the new world of Avalar, clearly stating that Gnasty Gnorc is no longer prevalent and Spyro now has a new foe to fight.
 
And the box art: weirdly, the European box art has Spyro running away from a Lava Lizard (which aren't from Glimmer, they're from Skelos Badlands) - and Spyro shouldn't be running away from them; he should be roasting their arses before they eat the cavemen! The US box art shows Ripto in the background simmering in rage, surrounded by flames. 'Nuff said. :P
 
VERDICT:
 
 
The USA version has the better box art and the better title. :D
 
 
(See, told you I wasn't biased. :P)


1 comment:

  1. As far as I know, the US version has the demo for a Crash for which you need a cheat code. The european version doesn't have that.

    ReplyDelete